Friday, July 10, 2009

Long trip in Ecuador

Anyone who knows Jana and me knows that we are always planning our next trip. We're currently in a nice hotel in Guayaquil, Ecuador with internet access on my laptop for the first time in about a month. We started the trip by flying into Quito, then flew over to the Galapagos Islands for about a week. After that, we flew into Guayaquil then took a few hour bus ride through a big town called Portoviejo and finally to a farm in the middle of nowhere. To get a true Ecuadorian experience, we lived with a family and there were some other gringos (white people) there living in a house across the street. We made good friends with the three of them, and did some volunteer work in the local towns around the farm. We tested about 600 people for diabetes, I gave nutrition lectures to different groups of people, and I worked with a local doctor. He and his second hand nurse, who Jana worked with while we were there, served the Ecuadorians in the countryside (en el campo). I worked on improving my Spanish and Jana is getting better with her Spanish as well. Tonight is our last night in Ecuador, then we're relaxing in Miami - actually, Ft Lauderdale - on the beach and in a nice American hotel. We'll post some pictures in a bit, since the internet isn't working perfectly right now.

2 comments:

Stacey Crewse said...

Wow! Sounds amazing...and a bit rough.... :) I bet you two are so excited to be in Florida! Enjoy the beach there... I love Ft. Lauderdale! Call me when you're in the states!

Cheryl said...

I'm glad you are back in the USA. Can't wait to see more pictures of your trip. Have fun in Florida and I'll see you soon.