Sunday, June 7, 2009

A case for do-gooding

OK, long story but worth the read.

I told the story to a friend on google chat, so I'll just copy and paste it here rather than re-writing the whole thing... Here goes...

me: you hear the crazy story about my stuff getting stolen?
friend: what stuff?
me: computer monitor and wallet/backpack contents
if you have a minute i can tell it
friend: no way.
sure
that's crazy - from your car?
house?
me: yeah from my car
so i was packing stuff to move from our apt in chandler to jana's parents' place
it was late, so i just brought the major, valuable stuff in
cats, computer, sound system and TV
the rest I left out in my honda
stupidly enough, I left our 22" computer monitor that I love out in our car
so in the morning jana wakes me up
and says, matt you left the computer monitor SITTING out in front of the accord
I say "what?"
you're crazy
I go out
sure enough, it's sitting there in front of my car
friend: omg
me: yeah
it gets weirder
so I figured I had been sleepwalking or something
brought the thing halfway in
then just left it there in the driveway
but
i go back inside
check my cell phone
i have this long, 5 page message from one of my old friends from high school's little brother
saying his buddy stole my stuff and brought it over to his house
friend: omg, no way
me: him and his older brother recognized me from my ID
and told the kid he had to return it
so he did
friend: oh wow
me: and set it out in front of my car
friend: ha
me: and here's the best part of all
my friend's little brother had recently sent me a message here on gmail
because he wants to go to medical school and heard I had been accepted
and i was bored at work
so i spent like 5 straight hours giving him advice and answering his questions
friend: very nice
me: so what does this whole incidence spell?
K-A-R-M-A
friend: totally
i'm a believer
me: in it's purest, most natural form
makes me think the whole thing is somehow magically beyond coincidence
friend: dude, good story
yeah, definitely
me: yeah
unbelievably beautiful
me: i think it's an inspirational story that promotes do-gooding and keeping contact with those even when they aren't the biggest do-gooders themselves
my old friend from high school was one of my buddies i'd cause mischief with when I was younger
and his little bro is in the same situation i think
so, who knows, the whole deal could have been my friend's little bro
or my friend
but i believe his story
and as long as i got all my stuff back
i'm happy
and i don't care to investigate further
friend: yeah, totally - even if he didn't realize it was yours and when he found your ID he thought better of it
me: i would like to meet with the perpetrator (sp?) personally and give him a heart to heart
friend: once he realized who he'd stolen from
me: saying, what if this wasn't someone you knew
they have a life just like me
and just because you felt (or one of your friends felt) that personal connection
friend: whether or not you believe in a final judgement or anything like that, still something to be said for just being good to people
me: doesn't mean that you should feel OK stealing from people you don't have personal connections with
absolutely
friend: exactly - easiest way to really know if something is good to do is to imagine what the world would be like if everyone were like you
me: golden rule
friend: if everyone stole from everyone else, what would the world be like
me: best moral guideline ever

I am still in disbelief that I was actually robbed and un-robbed all in one night while I was sleeping. It seems too good to be true. I am happy that I have all of my stuff back, and I am not worried about pressing charges.

Your thoughts???

:)

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

There are a lot of lessons that could be learned from that experience. The choices you make in life really make a difference. Kindness counts and usually what comes around goes around! I hope the person who stole from you will decide to turn their life around! I'm glad you got most of your things back. Did he give you back your debit card?

Matthew and Jana said...

Yes, he did. He just put it in a strange place and I couldn't find it until later.

Taylor and Jami said...

Un...believable